My git-n00bness obviously inhibited me a bit here, but I was today in the situation of creating a new location from which to blog (a hosted VM, more about which in a separate post).
So I ran
git clone https://github.com/agam/agam.github.io.git, which gave me the
But I also needed the
source branch. So I naively ran
git pull origin source, which resulted in ... a merge conflict on
I 'fixed' that by making
index.html empty. But
rake generate failed with weird errors and
git branch still shows only
source. So what was wrong?
This stackoverflow post had a possible answer on how to proceed.
I tried running
git checkout origin/source but that brought on the dreaded
experimental HEAD error message.
No luck. Then I came across this post which seemed to describe a similar situation (I crossed my fingers that I hadn't already screwed up my repo).
Aha! (I won't forget it now). You're supposed to specify the branch name when you check out!
rm -rfed my setup, then ran the following:
git clone -b source https://github.com/agam/agam.github.io.git cd agam.github.io git clone https://github.com/agam/agam.github.io.git _deploy
rake new_post worked as expected, but
rake generate still failed on some plugin error about an "invalid byte sequence".
That led me to this gist.
export LANG=en_US.utf-8 fixed the generate problem.
rake deploy worked as expected, so yay!